London – A British newspaper group has apologized for collecting illegal information and vowed it would not happen again in a trial starting on Wednesday that pits Britain's Prince Harry and other celebrities against Britain's tabloid press . The lawsuit, which begins on Wednesday in London's High Court, has been jointly brought by the Duke of Sussex and other UK celebrities, including popstar Cheryl Cole and the estate of the late George Michael, against the publisher of mirror Group Newspapers (MGN). is against. Daily Mirror tabloid over alleged phone hacking.
His “invisible contract” with the British tabloids and the royal family
The Mirror Group is contesting the claims against it, arguing that some have been brought beyond the permissible time limit and denying others. However, MGN said in court documents released Wednesday that “there was some evidence of third-party instruction to engage in other types of UIG.” [unlawful information gathering] in respect of each claimant,” which “warrants compensation.”
“MGN unconditionally apologizes for all such instances of UIG and assures claimants that such conduct will never be repeated,” the court documents said. “This apology is not made for the strategic purpose of mitigating the damage (MGN acknowledges that an apology at this stage would have no effect), but because such conduct should never have happened.”
Harry claims William made ‘huge' deal with Murdoch tabloids over hacking
The celebrities' claims relate to the period between 1996 and 2011, in which media personality Piers Morgan, now an outspoken critic of Prince Harry and his wife Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, served as editor of the Daily Mirror.
Sky News reported that MGN had previously admitted that phone hacking had historically occurred on its papers, and that it has paid victims.
The suit was launched in 2019, and Harry is expected to testify in June. It alleged that journalists working for the Mirror Group collected information illegally, including by hacking phones. Prince Harry's legal team initially pointed to 144 articles which they said used illegally collected information. According to Sky News, only 33 will be considered for the trial.
Harry and Meghan have filed at least seven cases According to Sky News, since 2019, against US and UK media outlets, and Harry is currently involved in four cases against UK tabloid newspapers. He is part of a group accusing Associated Newspapers Ltd, which publishes The Daily Mail, of illegal information gathering, and Against News Group Newspapers, which publishes The Sun tabloid.
Search continues for missing Cleveland EMT Lachelle Jordan
Dominique Ansel's Cronut Celebrates 10th Anniversary
E. Jean Carroll awarded $5 million in sexual assault, defamation case against Trump